I am so excited for this week! And why you may ask??? I’m going hiking in the Wichita Mountains! The Wichitas are one of Oklahoma’s best kept secrets for a number of reasons…the scenery, the wildlife, and the food. This small cluster of “mountains” that really look like ginormous piles of rocks can make the perfect day trip. It’s a great place to start if you’re new to hiking and there are actually a lot of sites to see while you’re there. So here are a few must-sees and must-dos of the Wichita Mountains!
- Mt. Scott: The big thing you should always do when you go to the Wichitas is Mt. Scott. It’s the tallest in the Wichitas at 2,464 feet elevation and the view is breathtaking!
- Jed Johnson Tower: An easy hike but make sure you have a map of the state park and that you use the trail. I wouldn’t recommend that you try to blaze your own trail and I say that based on personal experience. Last time I went, my friend Kathryn and I thought we would be cool kids and do just that. It turns out that “as the crow flies” is VERY deceiving. (That’s the Tower behind us!)
- Elk Mountain: This is still a fairly easy hike but definitely more challenging than to Jed Johnson Tower. It’s at a steeper incline, and (if I am remembering correctly) it takes about 40-45 minutes to get to the top if you’re pacing yourself…and definitely pace yourself. The first time I climbed Elk Mountain (which was my first time I visited the Wichitas) I was actually working out regularly and I still got winded.
- Holy City: I include this one with some reluctance because if I’m being quite honest, the Holy City is kind of creepy. It’s an interesting site to see, but I felt like I was about to become a part of a real life reenactment of a Criminal Minds episode. Oh, and the Moses room…yeah just don’t. So creepy…
- Meers Burgers: Finish your trip the right way and get the best burger you will ever eat at Meers. It’s a hole in the wall kind of place and you will probably have to wait a good hour until your just seated, but definitely go because of this…
- …and for this…
….but also this.
These are just a few of the sites I’ve seen at the Wichitas and I hope if you get the chance to go, that you enjoy it as much as I do. Though these are some things I personally have done, there are still a lot of things I want to see and do there such as the Rock Rooms and a trail that leads to a cave!
So that’s all for now! Stay adventurous!